High in vitamin C and packed with antioxidants, give your immune system a boost with this super simple to make, Classic Elderberry Syrup. It’s great over pancakes and ice cream too!
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
– Benjamin Franklin 1736
Classic Elderberry Syrup
From citrus to peppercorns, don’t be afraid to get creative and make this syrup your own.
1/2 cup dried elderberries
2 cups cold water
1 stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried ginger root
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vodka or brandy (optional: to increase shelf life.)
- Sort berries to remove any stems and leaves. Elderberry: What’s all the fuss about?
- Combine berries, herbs and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let mixture steep 1 hour.
- Strain in a fine mesh strainer, cheesecloth or in a cotton muslin bag. Gently squeeze out liquid. It may still be HOT! Discard used herbs.
- Once liquid has cooled, add honey, if using vodka or brandy, add now and stir well.
- Pour mixture into clean/sterilized glass jars.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Makes 12 – 16 ounces or 72 – 96 teaspoons
- WARNING: Unripe or raw berries, seeds, stems, leaves, branches, and roots are poisonous to humans. They contain a cyanide-inducing glycoside. The fruit is a tiny berry, of which about 50% is seed. Ripe berries, juice, pulp and skin only, are safe to eat after proper processing. The heat of cooking destroys glycosides. For more info please read Elderberry: What’s all the fuss about?
- For an infant or vegan friendly syrup, substitute maple syrup or agave for the honey.
- To make a shelf stable syrup that can sit out at room temperature for a long time without spoiling, double the amount of honey and or add the alcohol.
- Find our Instant Pot recipe here.
12 – 16 ounces<br>72 – 97 tsp.
Dosage Recommendations via
The American Botanical Council | THE ABC CLINICAL GUIDE TO ELDER BERRY
For Intensive Use: 3 to 5 days at the first sign of flu symptoms.
Adults: 2 teaspoons 4 times/day
Children: 1 teaspoon 4 times/day
For daily maintenance:
Adults: 2 teaspoons/day
Children: 1 teaspoon/day
#Elderberry #Syrup #Recipe #YUM #Immunity #Health #Wellness #Prevention #DIY #Pancakes #IceCream #Topping